07931 376 255 info@gotopseo.co.uk

Google, UKs top search engine?

We all know Google is the UK’s number 1 search engine but what about the ‘also rans’?

According to the www.statista.com survey April 17, Google has an 85.74% share of the UK search market leaving the others to fight over 14.26% and Google trying to retrieve lost ground (2 years ago the Google market share was  92%).

So who are the other search engines?

  • Bing (10.07% market share)…
    is a web search engine owned and operated by Microsoft. The service has its origins in Microsoft’s previous search engines: MSN Search, Windows Live Search and later Live Search. Bing provides a variety of search services, including web, video, image and map search products. It is developed using ASP.NET
  • Yahoo! Search (3.16% market share)… is a web search engine owned by Yahoo. Originally, “Yahoo Search” referred to a Yahoo-provided interface that sent queries to a searchable index of pages supplemented with its directory of websites.Yahoo ‘majority’ searches are powered by Bing
  • AOL Inc. (originally known as America Online) (0.19% market share)…
    is a web portal and online service provider based in New York, a Subsidiary of Verizon Communications, a part of Oath. AOL was one of the early pioneers of the Internet in the mid-1990s, and the most recognized brand on the web in the U.S. It originally provided a dial-up service to millions of Americans, as well as providing a web portal, e-mail, instant messaging and later a web browser following its purchase of Netscape.
  • Ask.com (originally known as Ask Jeeves) (0.04% market share)…
    is a question answering-focused e-business and web search engine founded in 1996 by Garrett Gruener and David Warthen in Berkeley, California. The original software was implemented by Gary Chevsky from his own design. Warthen, Chevsky, Justin Grant, and others built the early AskJeeves.com website around that core engine. In late 2010, facing insurmountable competition from more popular search engines, the company outsourced its web search technology and returned to its roots as a question and answer site.

Other ways of searching the internet
When you search Google, you are probably only seeing about 1% of the available infrastructure! The dark web (also known as the deep web) is a vast chasm of web information totally unchecked by any authority in the world.

find out more about the dark web